That is a perfect description of how I do it Ron and I thought everyone did it that way. I do rifles the same way setting the bullet to just bump the lands in rifles that like to shoot that way and off of the lands in rifles that like to shoot that way. I never read the recommended seating depth because reloading allows you to custom fit every bullet to every firearm. That is the beauty of it. I don't reload to save money although I am happy about that. I do it to make ammo that fits the gun so that it will shoot more accurately.

But I guess everyone works out their own method after awhile and then you can cast a bullet, scratch your thumb nail across it, and know instantly if it is hard enough, too soft, or too hard. You can tell about how brite or shiny it is and about how much tin is in it or not in it. A lot of people tell me they only reload in order to be able to shoot. That's okay, but they are missing out on a dang interesting part of shooting and the part that can help them shoot better if they would get into it more.

I have never understood guys who don't want to adjust things. Reloading tools are made adjustable for a reason. Not every firearm chambered for a specific cartridge is made the same way or to the same dimensions and because you can adjust your tools, you can make a bullet to fit each and every different firearm.

But that takes time and patience and knowledge and understanding and experience and some people just are not willing to give it that much time or study it that much. Those people can get pretty close using the loading manual data and setting their tools to those dimensions, but some of us old grumpy types go further than that and to tell you the truth, I never saw a master class pistol shooter that wasn't that way. You don't become a master shooter shooting average ammo, set to standard information from a loading manual, and fired in average handguns. You can get close, but you ain't gonna be shooting in the master class doing it.

Of course, most people could care less about shooting in the master class and they just want to go shoot and have fun. The loading data and standard dimensions in any good loading manual and out-of-the-box guns will do fine for those people. But if you want to excel, you have to get grumpy and start paying attention to the little things because it is the little things that makes the difference in a bullet going into the 10 ring and the one that goes into the X ring. But I know that you already know all of that because you are a grumpy shooter too. Smile Ron. I know you are. grin

Last edited by BobWills; 05/26/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.