Oh man!!!! Now THAT is the way to do it. First, there are no knots in the round. Second, the round is shorter, and third and most important, the round ain't all dried up and hard. Cut like that, it'll split pretty easy.

A dang big oak snapped off and fell and hit the north side of my house last October. The good news is that since it's the north side and up the mountain, there are no windows on that side. But it tore off the gutter and facia board but didn't put a hole through the roof decking. I got out there and cut it up and stacked it against several trees until I could get around to splitting it. It looked like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then hunting season opened and I already had up my wood supply for the year, so I didn't need that oak I had stacked out there.

After hunting season closed, a friend started building a house and I went and helped him every day for about three months. Then I built a shed on the north wall of the house to store fire wood.

It looks like this now:

[Linked Image]

Then I put in a small garden. Then I rebuilt a stone wall where a cross tie wall used to be with steps through the middle of it to get up the mountain side. All of that was damaged when that tree fell. It looks like this now:

[Linked Image]

Now I am finally getting around to splitting that wood and it's dried and as hard as a brick and as Paul Harvey used to say, now you know the rest of the story.

But it gives an old coot something to do and keeps him outta trouble. Well sometimes it keeps him outta trouble anyway. grin Why is it so dang difficult for an old coot with a 4 wheel drive pick'in up truck and a 44 revolver to keep outta trouble? It just seems to follow me around and if I ever see that sumbitch named "Murphy," I am gonna shoot him.

Last edited by BobWills; 05/28/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.