I was responding to a quote of 8.5 grains under a Keith in a 44 Special.

Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i did 12grains of 2400 and crimping in the crimp groove.per a reloading manual it showed a min. load of 9.7grains of 2400 for 879fpsm and max of 15.5grains of 2400 for 1242fps. that same book showed crimping at 1.553 which is at the top of the driving band.
i would have to look at the length of the barrel they were using. They do like those ten inch barrels for this stuff.
until i shoot it i am guessing at about 1000fps or so. I did one bullet with the same load crimping to the top of that band, gonna save it to go through the chrony. I would suspect that pressure would be lower seating the bullet to the top of the band. Which is where the chrony comes in, at 12grains i will be curious to see what it gets up to. I also loaded 12grains of 2400 in a 38special and crimped to the crimp groove. Which is close to duplicating your load.
I only have a little hesitation in using these in a 19, but it is not as stout as a 27/28. Matter of fact i have the load using the crimp groove in a two inch 19 right now. which should reduce pressure as the bullet is sticking out.
Long about way of saying i was thinking similar to your thinking i don't know a reason other than a 27/28 will take more abuse than the k frames. but even lyman's reloading manual showed crimping in the magnum to the top of the band and they made the mold and wrote the manual.
I have put thousands of rounds through a four inch 19 since the mid 70's but i bet less than a box of magnums.
I probably wont make many more for use in a magnum case, the 358561 bullet is only about ten grains different, and it impressed the snot out of me breaking that river rock i was shooting with it.
that 358156 has the two crimp grooves for use in either magnum or special casings, so i am pretty sure the guys fooling with the 38/44's were following similar thinking, hotrodding the special to get into magnum territory.
Interesting enough, some years back in talking to this FBI guy he showed me a ankle gun he was packing in 9mm, it was loaded with a round pushing a 115gr bullet at about 1300fps. I ended up buying some with warnings all over the box above saami specs. Shot some too with no bad things, but i am sure a steady diet would advance wear the gun.
and probably running up 38special into magnum territory in a non N frame would do the same thing in time.
another similar thing was i loaded some "skeeter" loads for 44special recently at I think it was 8.5grains of unique. Which is up there in current manuals. But he shot it. And i don't anticipate any problems using it.

I think this is pretty much it. . "so I never saw the need to use a magnum case and crimp on the driving band."

Last edited by mathman; 05/30/16.