About halfway through a 5-mile walk a few days ago I started feeling discomfort where my heel joins the arch of my left foot. I was trying out shoes I hadn't ever walked any distance in. By the time I got home it was painful and 3 days later it's still pretty bad. D'oh!

I have a difficult (rugged, no trail) pack hunt in 3 weeks. It's a premium tag and I'll crawl in if I have to but I'd rather walk.

I have been following an ice, ibuprofen, and rest regime these last few days. It's a lot better but I still can't walk normally.

So--- advice? This is a new one for me. What's my best path towards having a functional foot in 3 weeks?

As a side issue... my nice stiff Asolo boots have become unwearable due to pinching down on the bone of my big toe (on the other foot) painfully, right where there's a rivet in the boot. Seems that I bruised the bone last fall packing out my deer, probably, and didn't know it until I put those boots on this spring for a hike. So, I've been walking/hiking this summer in some relatively soft-soled, flexible Merrels. I am not opposed to buying new boots if, for instance, a really rigid footbed (last?) is desirable to help heal this plantar issue.

All advice appreciated. I'm 51.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!