Naproxen Sodium is more effective than Ibuprofen. A doctor can write you a prescription for a more powerful dose. But my orthopedic DR advised me to simply take a double dose of the over the counter version as needed after my knee surgery. I have problems with flare ups with plantar fasciitis and have used the same treatment. Last time I took a double dose of Naproxen Sodium at 8AM and 8PM and a double dose of Ibuprofen around noon. Did this for about a week along with stretching and it cleared up faster than in the past.

Be aware that long term use of these drugs will damage the liver. My doc says that for occasional short term use this is OK. You don't want to be taking either of these even at normal doses long term. If the problem doesn't get better within a week or 10 days I'd go off the meds and see a DR.

I had to do that once. They gave me a shot of steroids directly into the heel. Very painful, but it cleared up very fast. Something to consider if you're getting close to time to go and need relief NOW.

Stretching and ice treatments are important too. Sit on the floor with your leg extended and try get the back of the knee joint flat on the floor. Wrap a belt or strap around the ball of your foot and pull on the belt to stretch. You'll feel it in the calves too.

Instead of a handball fill a 16-20 oz Coke or Gatorade bottle with water and freeze it. Roll it under your foot. A bottle with some texture on it will provide a massage and ice treatment at the same time. I used the same bottle later for the ice treatment.

Once you know you are susceptible to plantar faciitis the best treatment is prevention. It sounds like you're at the early stages and should be able to knock it out on your own before it gets bad. I've limped around for 2-3 months in the past.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.