Originally Posted by Dogger
I want to stay below $1350 or so for the rifle.

[Expensive firearms: went there with high end 1911s ($2K+) and decided reliable Colts ~ $1K were all I really wanted or needed. I have similar feelings towards rifles.]

I personally have never owned a production rifle, 700, 550, 527, 98, 84, 70, 77, 7, etc., that did not require work, in time and money, to have that rifle working to my satisfaction. I have, however, had numerous Sako rifles, in numerous chambering, that worked to my satisfaction, straight out the box. So when all is said, some are more of a project in the box than others. In the end, they will all cost about the same in time and money.

Where my love for Sako ends, is the point where it does not fit and work out the box. If requiring major alterations, and Frankenstein mounts to fit and work, then it loses its "out the box" value. But if it fits and works out the box, it is of great value, worthy of a look, as it will hang with custom rifles costing several times as much. That is why I like the Sako. The dimensions they chose must have come from my identical twin. But, my fit may be different than your fit.

If all you want or need is a reliable rifle, then, get a Ruger, use their ringmounts, and top it off with a fixed power LEU scope. It will not be refined, it will not carry exceptionally well, but it would be tough and reliable. Even if it did not muster moa groups, you could fill truck beds full of game.

If you want refined, exceptional carry, moa accuracy, in a "non-Tikka/A7 type budget gun", then you'll need to invest more, in something like a Sako out the box, or a CZ, M70, 84, etc., as a project in a box. If wanting custom, then expect to at least double this added investment.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/24/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood