Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by Dogger
This sums up the negative vibes:

1. Consider a Tikka instead: less expensive, better scope mounting system, stiffer action, same/better accuracy
2. Beretta support sucks
3. A Tikka is a noticeably lighter rifle to carry in the field
4. Scope mounting options are extremely limited for the Sako
5. Sako's tapered dovetail mounting scheme is a PIA
6. Some of the larger (above XS) action sizes have ejection issues
7. COAL can be restricted by the proprietary DBM
8. There is no aftermarket bottom metal available
9. Aftermarket stocks are very limited
10. The lug/block action to stock design is not appealing to some

Let me inject a little reality here, as some folks are clearly going off the deep end, and your list is far from factual:

- Scope mounting options are not limited. I have no idea what you're even talking about. The forward ringmount does not have to be positioned all the way forward on the dovetail...you do understand this, right? That fore/aft movement allows you to position the ring as needed to fit your scope. What makes this a PIA is beyond me. Some clearly don't understand how it operates.

- You don't need or want aftermarket bottom metal for a Sako 85. It's already got the highest quality, most well-machined bottom metal available for a rifle.

- McMillan makes stocks for the Sako 85. Is anyone really going to buy a Sako and put a B&C on it?

- I can only speak for the ML action, but my .25-06 has an absurd amount of extra room for COAL. Any cartridge in the .30-06 class could be loaded as long as you wanted.

My assessment was realistic, fair, and unbiased. In the case of my 85 Varmint 223 8 twist, the mag limits COAL to 2.28". I'm not about to get into an internet pissing contest over whether or not I'm justified in wanting a mag accommodating 2.50+" COAL and more than two aftermarket stock options for a heavy barreled 8 twist 223. Further, denying that scope mounting options are extremely limited is delusional. Finally, you might want to revisit your understanding of the positioning of a front optilock ring on the tapered dovetail.

GaryVA,
You've almost done a fantastic job detailing constraints inherent in the Sako 85 design.

Kingston, one of us does need to revisit his understanding of the Optilock Ringmount, but it's not me. Here are three photos of the same front ringmount at three different positions on the Sako dovetail. Why are you so confused? It's not a matter of just pushing the ringmount all the way forward on the dovetail...the Ringmount is adjustable fore and aft; this allows you to center the reticle and adjust for coarse windage, and it also allows you to position the ring for length of main tube.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Chris