I agree with OK. Most of the people who head for some happy hunting ground to shoot a really big deer really don't know what to expect or what they are like.
Make no mistake, they are quite different than the 1-2 yr. olds the vast majority shoot. As John Wooters once put it, "they are so different than the younger, smaller bucks, that they might as well be considered a separate species. "
How do they differ ? They have alot of experience staying alive under hunting pressure. They are far more wary than the younger bucks. They move much differently than the younger, smaller bucks.
The big trick, I'm convinced is to be able to shoot well under the conditions that shots at them are presented.
Since I've never killed a 4 yr. old from a stand, I'll pass on that. If that's the way you hunt, ask somebody like Ruraldoc for advice. I've never had the oportunity to hunt big private ranches where the bucks don't have much experience with hunters either.
What I've noticed is that when hunting them any other way, still hunting, tracking or glassing and stalking, they almost always give you very little time to shoot and often are busy moving through cover. They give you very little to shoot at and very little time to do that. They don't, in my expereince, stand around at 300-500 yds. plus and give you time to get into your shooting position, deploy the bipod and range them. They would never get that big if they did.
What all of that means is, particularly with today's premium bullets, that almost anything will work in the way of a cartriage and load. The big trick is to be able to shoot quickly and hit him well moving.
Anybody read any of the Benoit books ? One of the things that really impressed me was how much they practice. Nothing fancy in guns or loads. But they shoot alot. Even during their off days during the hunting season.
Makes alot of sense to me. E