Originally Posted by castnblast
I live and hunt in Saskatchewan, have not weighed many deer, but did kill a couple that were pretty good size, one was 265 field dressed, the other was a fair bit bigger. Have shot several that were certainly over 300 lbs. on the hoof. In our group of hunting buddies nobody shoots a "magnum" of any sort, and the only reason anything bigger than a .243 or 25-06 is used is because most of us use our elk and moose rifles for deer too. A couple of years ago we decided to hunt for mature bucks instead of better tasting does and yearlings. A picture is below, sadly none of those deer were weighed but a couple were pretty heavy. They were shot with .250 Savage, 7mm08, .308, 30-06, and 8mm Mauser if I remember correctly. A couple other chamberings that we use are the .270 and 6.5x55.
I find it really quite funny when I meet a visiting American in the bush and he shows me his .300 Weatherby that he's going to slay a HUGE Saskatchewan whitetail with. I think such chamberings are harder for most hunters to shoot well, and our deer aren't wearing body armour.
[Linked Image]

Shhhhhhhhaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggg.
Awwwwhhhhhhhh, the heavy/dark-antlered whitetails of Saskatchewan - nirvana. I need a cold shower. blush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D