Castnblast: Some real nice whitetails there!IME there are two categories of big bucks in Canada,from New Brunswick clear to Alberta(never hunted BC).

There is your average "big";and then there is REALLY BIG!In many trips there I have killed the biggest-bodied mule deer of life there;a real genuine giant.The two biggest whitetails I have seen there were true monsters,in body and rack.One was killed by a companion,and this buck dwarfed a 145-class 10 point that would easily have dressed over 200 pounds.The larger buck looked like another species.....he was killed at about 175 yards with a 270.

The other was a true giant alive in a field in Alberta; only the reluctance of a companion to shoot at 250 yards saved him that day.He was fodder for the cover of BIG BUCK Magazine,in rack and body...

The 300 Weatherby is a fine cartridge...no doubt.But watching a lot of guys sight in on these Canadian hunts leads me to the same conclusions.They almost always seem to be pretty "innocent" guys,not very astute when it comes to rifles...they will tell you they need the 300 mag for a "long shot";but I've taken them out to 400 yards(even 300)at the range;they are completely clueless,have never in their lives fired a round at either distance,and the groups are "minute-of-mini-bus";no deer is in any danger around these guys beyond 100-200 yards.I'm being generous.....

It is hard to convince them they are outclassed by any smaller cartridge,and some cling tenaciously to the big 30's.

IME there are two kinds of 300 magnum shooters....those who don't have a clue,...and those who know EXACTLY what they are doing.It ain't hard to tell the difference.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/02/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.