Bob, Skane, OK, you all make very valid points, and I've seen every one of them, dozens of times.
Skane was right about the quiet guys familiar with their gear ( whatever it is...) Went on a Canadian hunt one time and after a few hours in camp with guide and outfitter I asked " should we check our zeroes, and you guys can see if we can shoot or not...?" The outfitter simply said, " oh, you can shoot...you haven't mentioned a thing about what kind of rifles and bullets and scope you brought since you got here, no problem...you can shoot..."
My experience in and out of the field is precisely that...the more you hear about the gear, the less experience it's owner has, and the more reliant he is on technology instead of experience.
I have had bunches of younger guys with say an'06 ask what I thought about stepping up to the latest magnum craze, wanting an honest answer. Told them all, take the Thousand dollars you'd spend on a new rifle and buy ammo or components for your '06 and start shooting it... Haven't had one follow the advice yet...
Also have had numerous inquiries on how to make their new magnums shoot better,with the trailer " I don't understand it,my .243 shoots little tiny groups..."
And on and on...
Thanks to you guys with experience that have seen and duly noted these same things.....
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe