Quick bio I live in saskatchewan and guided for many years as well. When i guided the camp mins. were .277 + with a stout bullet in the tube. The main reason for suggesting a stout bullet were 2 fold: near every hunter wanted the glory shot a DRT - double pin aim point & the shots were typically 100 or less in the dense forest where I guided. I never guided a single .270 shooter, majority were 300 mags with 180-200gr pills. I agree status is the major reason for the big guns brought but as long as the client could shoot it then i was fine with it. I can add their were more then a few who didn't pass pre-hunt sight in and were asked to use the camp 3006 with 180gr nosler parts...lol!

I have killed my share of canadian bucks that tipped the scale at over 300lbs and know that shot placement is the key. My aim point is always the vitals with the least obstructions - aka ribs not shoulder. I have absolutely no problems taking the opposite shoulder on the way out as I know the damage that has been done is lethal and exiting isn't really a concern. Whether a 300lb deer or 1000lb + moose they can't live with deflated lungs...this i know to be fact. For deer i use NBT and love them, not what my camps would have consider an adequate bullet but again shot placement being key! I have used cartridges to take a deer ranging from a 2506rem to a 338wm - the only difference I've seen is the size of the hole and some case the damage the lighter faster ones can do. I think the 1/4 bore is a perfect antelope, deer and sheep choice. Another key element is choosing the right bullet for the task. Their is absolutely no need for a screaming 3600fps projectile when your shooting 300 or yards. Common sense goes a long way in life and hunting.

Its not the size of the tool but the operator that makes the difference...JMHO.