Slightly off topic but..

Just as a little trivia the heaviest doe I could ever research that could was well documented (weighed at a check station, fish and game employee etc...) was killed in Louisiana and weighed just over 300 pounds live weight. I believe it came out of the three rivers area out of a soybean field.

I'm sure there have been heavier ones and most probably ones from further north but that's the closest I could come up with as an offical weight of one thru a couple of years of looking and reading about 10 years ago.

This is the largest bodied deer I have managed to kill in the south. Not big by northern standards at all. Pretty big deer for living in a pine plantation on public land in the south all his lfe however. He actually outweighed my neighbors deer killed within 500 yards of this one the same year that scored 198.5" B&C non typical. His deer was one year older, possible these two were in a bachelor group a few years prior.

[Linked Image]

Somewhere I have a pic (I'll have to find it and scan it) of a pretty hefty doe I killed. She had some funky stuff going on however. She was lactating in early bow season and was with a fawn when I killed her...but she had little button antlers that were about 1/4" tall and broke the skin. I don't know if half and halfs count smile

But back on topic it's rare to hear someone down here discussing weight of a deer unless it's really out of the ordinary. When I worked with deer clubs we required them at first to estimate deer weight for 2 years and then required them to actually weigh dressed deer (with a scale we provided) as a requirement for getting additional harvest tags for both bucks and does. The average weight of deer took about a 30% nosedive the year we went to actual weighing as opposed to estimating smile We should have done the same with antler size as well just to see how far off they were.

Last edited by NathanL; 11/21/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.