Originally Posted by BobinNH
Even a 300 pound deer is not a particularly large animal.....is this the threshhold in weight for moving to a big belted 30 for some guys?

Great question, personally a .270 Win is enough for even heavy Alberta bucks! That said, I was in camp when a young hunter shot a buck with a 25-06. After they brought him back to camp, he got up and started walking away, and had to be shot again in the outfitters back yard.
This created quite a lot of excitement and BS around the camp. I asked the youngsters dad what his kid was shooting in the 25-06 (which I happen to like) his dad's reply was Federal. That is all I could find out just Federal?

I suspect two reasons why some Canadian outfitters put in their literature and websites .28 caliber as minimum, is some hunters don't pay attention to which bullet they are using in smaller calibers and may actually be shooting something like a varmint round.
Secondly, I have heard talk about these northern bucks having thick long hair and the blood can gather and freeze up from a small exit wound, and a thick layer of fat can shift and cover a hole.
I say BS to these theories myself because if they are hit right they will go down after a brief run of 40 yards or so.
But none the less I have heard this BS spread and believed as the reasons people need a 300 mag for big northern deer.