ingwe, I agree. I had a couple of the younger guys that work for me ask what I use or recommend for deer and elk hunting. When I told them something like a .270, 30-06, .308. 7-08 etc., they looked at me like I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. So one of them purchased a .325 WSM with a 6.5 X something scope and the other 7mm STW with a 4 X 12. Now they talk about how their rifles have increased "knock down energy", flatter trajectories, more bullet penetration, etc., etc., etc. That's all fine.

How much do you think those two young guys practice with those rifles? They don't reload and the ammo for those calibers is expensive. I would guess they shoot less than a box of shells each year.

When I was 18 and guiding elk hunters, I decided what I really needed for my own hunting was one of those new 8mm Rem Mags (I date myself here). I probably "bragged" that rifle up quite a bit myself at the time. Took a couple of elk with it then sold it. Couldn't think of one thing that rifle could do that my old '06 wouldn't. Plus, I didn't get the crap kicked out of me when I practiced with it. Anyway, I believe I became a little more humble, and recoil shy, after that experience. So, I'll let the young guy's (or any hunter) learn what they like for themselves and won't hold it against them when they brag-up their "super-duper, long range, at any angle, dead right there ultimate elk and deer rifle". Whatever. Do you shoot it a lot?