I like both. I have two CZ's one in 22Mag and one in 17HMR. Their accuracy potential is very similar both being 1-1.25MOA capable with favoured ammo.

Past 125 yards on small gophers the 17HMR is indeed a bit easier to make hits with. The "Chunking" factor belongs to the 22 Mag with 40HP's however. On Gophers I might use either but prefer the 17HMR for the slightly better long range hit ability. In really thick populations the 22LR gets the nod as it starts getting expensive to feed the other rounds.

For small edible game I like the 22 Mag with 50 grain bullets. It kills without lots of tissue damage though the 20 grain game bullets in the 17 are lots better than the 17 grain VMAX.

For a wilderness gun the 22WMR in a Cricket or Chipmunk is very versatile. More so than a 17 IMO. The 22 bullet really does hit harder on larger game. I wish someone made a light 22 Hornet repeater along the lines of the old Chipmunk but with a 5 round magazine. I bet they'd sell well! I'd get two.

In the meantime I am happy to have both rimfires. If the 5mm Rem ever gets developed with good ammo at a reasonable price; I think it will beat both.