Jim62: Nice harvest there with your 17 HMR!
That is a tall lanky Jack!
Good for you and many happy returns of that day!
Nice picture to.
My furthest Varmint kill to date with the 17 HMR is 246 yards but it was on a large black feathery (more delicate) Varmint!
That shot was simple compared to my friend Ron Kesselring who killed a skinny standing Weasel at 225 yards with his heavy barrel CZ in 17 HMR!
I swear that standing weasel was only 1 1/4" wide at the shoulder when Ron shot him!
I would NOT have even tried that shot with any of my 22 Magnums!
Accuarcy (ability to place the bullet precisely!), flatter trajectory, straighter flying in the wind, faster rotating bullets and faster linear bullets all add to the lethality that is inherent (supreme) in the 17 HMR!
I have now killed three species of Rabbits with my 17 HMR's - Cottontails, Jack Rabbits and Snowshoe Hares!
Again ANYONE who thinks the 17 HMR cartridge is less lethal than the 22 Magnums simply does NOT have enough trigger time with the 17 HMR!
Otherwise why would the 17 HMR arms be outselling the 22 Magnums nowadays by 20 to 1?
"Hard hitting" is an ambiguous and not convincing measure/description of a cartridges lethality on game!
Foot pounds of energy is not the only component (nor the most important!) of lethality!
There is an old saying "speed kills" and in this case that is a very important component of rimfire lethality!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy