Originally Posted by ConradCA

I would not consider getting a new 22mag. Its 17HMR all the way. What do you think?

What I think is that everyone should shoot whatever they like and it doesn't matter. The way some people make a big deal arguing about this stuff, trying to prove themselves right and others wrong, is stupid. A few guys need to grow up.

One of the people I hunt with uses a 17 HMR, mine is a 22mag. We rimfire groundsquirrels from about 15-20' to about 75yds and not further than 100. The 22 makes a bigger gutpile. I don't care about 150 or 200yds with a rimfire. Explosions are what's fun, plop and fall over isn't interesting. The 22mag has always worked really well for me on targets up to rockchuck size and ammunition price is reasonable by the case. So I've never cared about changing. For more power/range I'll use a 17AH which costs about the same (or less) to shoot as a 17HMR and is in a whole different league. I don't care what people shoot. Someone likes the HMR, then they should use it......if someone likes the 22Mag, same thing. It's about what you like and it's nobody's business to tell you you're wrong.