There seems to be a mythology about the various 17's dating to the days of PO Ackley. He reports some results with various 17 center-fires on big game that ignited my imagination. The "Speed Kills" fraternity expected some fantastic results from 4000fps and they reported them. No doubt these little rounds work well sometimes even on bigger game. They even invented the concept of bullet rotational energy to explain the fantastic results they were reporting

I was an impressionable kid in the 70's and had to have a 17 Remington. I used one for a while and found mine would give very inconsistent results on game over 15 pounds or so. Tissue destruction was in line with kinetic energy but no magic effect was noted. It is not a big game round in my estimation. Eventually the wilder claims for the CF 17's retreated and it won some respect as a rather specialized varmint round.

It seems a similar aura of mythology surrounds the little 17 HRM. I have one of these as well. Again tissue destruction and killing power is about were the Kinetic Energy figures are...that is a bit less than the 22Mag. The 20 grain XTP is actually a pretty good game bullet with good expansion and weight retention. The 40 grain Winchester 22 Mag is better on game over 5 pounds, at least under 100 yards. The 50 grain 22Mag bullets are an even better game bullet in the 22 Mag. The 40 grain HP explodes gophers a bit better than the 17 to 125 yards. Past 125 yards the 17 is a bit easier to hit with. In a wind both pretty much suck. Even the little 22 Hornet leaves both in the dust when it comes to hitting power and versatility.

I have noticed no magic in either rimfire round. I like both. For game over 5 pounds I'd pick the 22 Mag. For game over 25 pounds I'd pick a 22 center-fire. For game over 100 pounds I'd reach for a 6mm, for game over 300 pounds I use a 358 Norma.

Everything has it's niche. The 17HMR's niche is pest control for sub 5 pound targets from 50-175 yards. It's neat to be able to see the bullet impact. It's nice to not reload 500 rounds a day that is expended in good gopher country. For larger pests the 22 Magnum is a marginally better choice.