Again, if you take 2 cartridges based off the same case, give one a smaller, lighter bullet and one a heavier, larger diameter bullet the case with the larger bullet will be more effective on larger game. This is givin equal bullet construction. A .243 isn't a better elk round than a .308, a .25-06 is not a better big bear round than a .30-06 and a .17hmr is not a better coon/fox/coyote round than a .22M. Whether any of the above rounds are ethically capable of killin the game mentioned is ones own choice. You may believe a .243 is fine for elk or a .25-06 is fine for big bear or the .17hmr is fine for coyote. BUT THEY AREN"T BETTER than their parent cartridge for the big game.

Now you take those same comparisons and load a lighter constructed bullet in the smaller diameter cartridge and shoot "small for cartridge" game and it will blow em to smithereens and can lead to better killing power on these small targets. Take a .243 varmint bullet to a coyote and you'll get the red mist so many prairie dog hunters love while a heavier constructed .308 game bullet may act like a FMJ and do very little damage. It's due to the construction.

So a .17hmr that blows a gopher to hell and gone more than likely won't be a good choice for a coon. But that same .17hmr may be better for gophers than a HP .22M due to the fact that the bullet construction doesn't allow the bullet to reach it's fill potential on rodents.

So to say the .17 is the better killer because it splatters gophers and crows doesn't mean it's over all better.

Both have their place. But in my opinion the .22M has a smaller place. Why? The .22M is sandwiched in between the .22LR, the .17HMR and the centerfires. Doesn't leave much room for the .22M. Citters under 10lbs I'll take a .17hmr or a .22LR. Over 20lbs and I'll take a centerfire. Leaves between 10-20 lbs critters and range is limited. Not very versatile.

CB