Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Blackheart: In the state where I live (Montana) it IS legal to shoot Big Game with the 17 HMR and the various 22 Magnums as well - there are NO caliber restrictions here.
And yes I have heard of several folks shooting Deer with various rimfires INCLUDING the 17 HMR.
I have not witnessed these situations so I have no first hand observations to relay.
I do not recommend this Deer Hunting with rimfires - nor will I ever be trying it myself.
I will repeat though - in case you did not understand me - anyone who thinks the 17 HMR is less lethal than the 22 Magnums simply does NOT have enough trigger time with the 17 HMR!
ESPECIALLY on the size game for which the rimfires were designed for and intended to Hunt with.
You conveniently left out the results of YOUR Deer shooting experiences with the 17 HMR - could you correct that glaring ommission for us?
Or not.
And this - just out of curiousity which state are you harvesting your Deer with the rimfires in?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I won't be trying the 17 HMR on deer either. I had one for 6 years. Shot squirrels, crows, pigeons, starlings,woodchucks and coons with it. I also have 43 years ecperience killin' schitt with the .22 LR, .22 mag and 5mm Rem mag... As I said before, the 17 HMR is a fine 175 yard crow rifle but beyond that I have little use for it. Once you get into bigger stuff like woodchucks, coons,coyotes { The 17 MAY WORK ON THEM PUNY STIPS OF LEATHER WITH EARS YOU CALL COYOTES OUT IN MONTANA BUT REST ASSURED IT'S NOTHING YOU'D WANT TO USE FOR THE ONES WE HAVE HERE IN THE NORTHEAST} or deer I'll take the .22 mag or 5mm over the .17 any day ending in Y. Heck, I'll even take A .22 LR loaded with CCI velocitors over the .17HMR for anything bigger than a woodchuck inside 50 yards. The HMR ain't just a little rimfire .243 like you seem to think.

Last edited by Blackheart; 12/27/10.