Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
The Statist in Iran isn't the man in charge....
Don't get caught up in official titles. The head of state I'm referring to is the guy, or group of guys, who actually make such decisions, not the figurehead with the title, assuming those two are different.

The structure is what makes this case unique though, TRH. Like I said, in my mind foreign relations are a case by case thing, not some blanket policy.

Iran has a Statist who is not a religious fanatic that is the President. Separate from that, they have the Supreme Leader, who IS a religious fanatic that calls the shots.

They sidestep the responsibility by having the Statist as the Foreign Relations Guy and the face of the Nation, and the Religious Zealot as the real man behind the curtain.

Zealot says, we need weaponized skills and technology to advance our cause. President takes this to the World and says, "What he means is we need electricity."

Zealot doesn't care what happens as long as the cause is advanced. President cares only in that he wants to keep his power. So, to keep his power, he has to convince the Zealot to keeps things subtle.

This kind of relationship is the birth of the Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas, Al-Queda, and 100's of other groups that desire to advance the ideology of the Zealot.

They don't care what happens to Iran, the Zealot doesn't care about the Nation of Iran, he can be a Zealot anywhere.

The Groups they support are so widely established that plausible dependability is granted. If Hezbollah, Hamas, or Al-Queda commit an attack, Iran can claim they aren't responsible.

Convenient little set up, wouldn't you say!?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.