Originally Posted by Mule Deer
How many of the people who've responded so far have actually shot a black bear, mountain lion or 2-legged varmint with their choice of "hiking revolver"?

Just curious, partly because of all the threads on the the perfect deer/elk/Cape buffalo/mongoose cartridge or bullet.

Not me..I have now shot three eastern black bears, but all those bears where shot when unaware with rifles. I somehow expect that shooting an unaware blackie with a rifle is a bit different from shooting at an unhappy bear 15 feet away with a handgun.

My choice of gun in this thread, a 357 with 158's I have no doubts would be fine shooting the unaware bear from a tree stand, but would no doubt feel small and unimpressive standing 15 feet in front of a pissed off sow. Of course there is something to be said for 12oz handguns when walking for miles and miles. To be frank I am more concerned with threats like people, or unleashed aggressive dogs than with black bears. It wouldn't be my choice if I was in grizzly county, but I spend hundreds of hours in black bear country a year and if I am lucky a week or so in Griz country every year or three.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge