That's the thing, here or up north, the weather is a bigger threat than anything else. If it's in the summer. insects are just as likely to kill you as is a bear! I've been in mosquitos so thick that the idea of closing my eyes and running blindly off a cliff was not unattractive!
Last year, on a hike at the north end of the Rocky Mountain trench, The 22 I carried for grouse was of much greater value than was the 35 Whelen carried for big game. After a couple of weeks, I would have happily swapped the Whelen for it's weight in Kraft dinner (We were low on grub)! Anyway, while I do occasionally carry a pistol, a 22 is the best choice for me. To tell the truth, I can feed myself much better with a sawed off 22 rifle (I use an old, cut down, Model 67 Winchester. Light, accurate, and durable) than with any pistol.
If I was on the Appalachian trail, I would count on my age and homely appearance to protect me from molestation and I think I'd be OK. I figure my old, wrinkled, butt wouldn't arouse even the most depraved hillbilly! GD