It's about survival... If you're always able to walk a short distance home or to your truck, you could wear cotton and just (plan to?) go home if you get wet. If you're away from civilization, one better have a waterproof shell and some layers that dry more quickly / have some warmth when wet...

All depends on where you hunt I guess. I usually hunt where getting lost means I could be out for a night in any weather, and hypothermia isn't on my approved list of ways to die - so I buy very good gear. Shell, layers, etc...guys that hunt on family land near their house or whatever have a different culture. My buddy has hunted on family land his whole life and called me a gear whore. Miles up a mountain in TN when his sweat soaked cotton clothes were still sweat soaked hours later he was talking of upgrading his hunting gear. And that was dry and sunny weather - imagine if it started to rain and the temps dropped? Just depends on the situation..

I've found that this style hunting (hike a long way in rugged terrain, then stop and sit for a few hours motionless at dusk while temps drop) to be the very hardest clothing situation to accommodate.

Last edited by 68Shooter; 11/09/13.

Psuedo-Random Number Generator: 6.8 .338 .375 .45
Psuedo-Random Truck Generator: V8 Toyota w/ Overland Warehouse - Torsen - BFGoodrich
Go out and get it.