Every hunting adventure comes with some risk. There is a big difference walking out to your trees stand 1/4 mile away from a cabin versus a drop off backpack trip in a remote area. The folks up in Alaska know this all too well and those who post here should be considered 'value added' to the forum. This is not to say a remote trip into the western lower 48 comes without danger.

I think back to our first western big game hunt in 1981 near Kaycee WY.. We wore a lot of cotton camo stuff and cotton thermal underwear. We got wet and cold but we didn't know any better and hell, we were shooting mules and pronghorns. Over the years we wised up to Eddie Bauer, LL Bean (pre-yuppy) and later Cabelas and so on.

My trips to Alaska in all seasons sealed the deal on the need for proper gear that is usually pretty expensive. But your comfort and survivability is much improved.
Put it bluntly, there is no reason to be routinely wet or cold with the high tech clothing and support gear available today. Buy smart - cause you generally get what you pay for. Forums like this help speed up your learning curve on what works and what fails.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 10/13/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.