I only use Sitka or Kuiu for the merino base layers. Think Filson wool, it's been working for hundreds of years (Wool, not Filson). It retains 80% of body heat when wet, doesn't smell like azz after a few days wearing it, and is pretty rugged in rough country. Down sides are it takes FOREVER to dry if you do get it wet, and it can be bulky heavy, but I find I don't need extra heavy weight wool if I just layer. I start with Merino wool base layer by KUIU, First Lite or Sitka, and Smartwool socks, Filson wool shirt, Filson wool vest and a heavy wool sweater for if it gets really cold. Wool pants are either LL Bean or lighter weight Filson with gortex gaiters. Wool hat, wool gloves. I never get cold and carry my layers in my pack. I've got a Filson waterfowl sweater with the wind stopper lining that keeps me warm down into the teens easily. Good wool pieces can also be pricey, but I've got a few pieces that have seen regular use in the field for 25-30 years and they are still going strong.

PS- you don't need camo, plaid and solid colors worked long before all the new fangled camo patterns came out. Admittedly, my rain gear (Cabela's MT050) is camo, but it doesn't come out of the pack all that often, and I still fill my fair share of tags.

God Bless America!