Lotta good info posted.

The wear and tear on pants (brush, thorns, rock ledges in our steep hunting) gives them a beating compared to upper body clothing. So... I may spend a bundle on a jacket and wear pants from thrift stores and clearance sales.

For an expedition in the Arctic, I'd buy better pants... grin

My grandsons hunt in the jogging pants Pete mentioned. One killed a 5x6 Roosevelt with a bow in steep rain forest this Fall, the other stalked and killed a coastal blacktail buck with his recurve while wearing such. It works.

Will ditto that the soft peach finish on nylon pants from REI are super comfortable and dry instantly if given a chance. Don't know if anyone has mentioned my staple of light weight wool dress pants from thrift stores. Water resistant, lighter weight and vastly more comfortable cut than denim jeans - and no cotton to kill you! laugh

For pure trail hiking on a cleared trail in cool weather, a pair of light nylon shorts over silk weight (or real silk) long johns is a super comfortable ensemble. I wore that while packing out a buck, sans the shorts, longies only-- and met some granola hikers on the trail of course. I said nothing and let them think I was trendier than they were.

Last edited by Okanagan; 11/11/13.