Originally Posted by saddlesore
I tend to not hunt in the rain or a snow storm. I have found the animals hole up and hunting success goes way down. I do like they do. If I am out and about, I hunker down under some big pine tree and wait it out. If I get up in the AM and it is snowing or raining, I go back to bed. Hunting is suppose to be fun, and getting soaked or even being out in the rain or snow isn't. When you get older with a few more rings under your bark, you get smarter.

Fine, but after I shot my moose last month, we had 72 hours of mostly rain, when we had to quarter the moose and portage it twice over river blockages, often in driving rain. I have had varying success with different rain gear. Many will work well if you can put them on dry over dry layers and sit still even in driving rain. But when you start working like a mule in the rain, you eventually will get wet (sweating from the inside or raining from the outside). When that happens, you need to have good synthetic or wool layers that still work somewhat. You'll be wet nonetheless, but you still can be reasonably warm.