Originally Posted by centershot
After hiking all over Southern Idaho this fall in my old Denim Camo pants (occasionally soaked - often cold) I'm starting to consider some of the high tech fabric pants. Are they really worth $200+? I'm not worried about any fashion statement but I would really like to find something that performs better than Denim when it is not cold enough for Fleece. I am a tightwad, most of my camo comes from Walmart and I tend to believe that the poly blend there works as good for me as under-armor. I guess what I would like to find is the equivalent or a pant that has the features but does not cost an arm and leg. What's your experience and your favorites. Thanks.

I'm trying to work out your requirements from your posts and get the following:
1) You get by wearing denim right now, but its not ideal.
2) Your looking for something for "average" temps and something none water proof
3) You prefer not to spend a fortune and are not interested in "designer" gear"

In New Zealand, and I believe Oz, a lot of hunters wear what we would term "track suit" bottoms..they are sports pants somewhere in between the really tight running pants like Ron Hills and baggy "jogging bottoms"..

They are light, and being synthetic, dry easily, and are generally quiet. They don't have lots of pockets and are not overly hard wearing, but they cheap, so it not a major concern.

I wore some on and off for a season or two over here and after adding a few buttons to enable them to be held up with braces/suspenders, they worked fine..

In the end the local store stopped carrying them in OG, so I moved onto something else...

Last edited by Pete E; 11/10/13.