I'd swing along with what Fosteology said. The Kimbers are pretty unique in terms of the features wrapped in a package for the money. Over the years I have seen precious few factory rifles that did not benefit from some judicious tweaking...certainly some needed nothing at all, but many benefit from the kind of treatment guys have discussed on here.

I have never carried a Kimber in the field except for the Varmint models but that isn't because I wouldn't. I have owned and shot 6-8 of them.

When you finish the same kind of tweaks you do on most any factory rifle you have something light weight and easy to carry , "normal" barrel length for the intended cartridge, a well proportioned and designed stock (wood or synthetic),and enough accuracy for any rational use.

Even in a custom or semi-custom rifle to get the same weight reductions and features, you have to shell out substantially more dough and I am not sure you end up any better off.

I think a Montana in 7/08 and 7mm WSM are about as good as a guy can get in their respective power categories, and in a factory rifle for the money. No flies on the 84L in long action chamberings either.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.