Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by erickg
Here's the best my latest .223 can do. Multiple loads have been tried and every trick ever suggested for making a Montana shoot has been checked off the list. The two in the black are the first two followed by the three in the orange. Seems to be a barrel heat issue, considering removing the bedding from under the shank, any thoughts?

[Linked Image]

I just bedded mine on Friday and it does the same thing if I don't hold it just right or if I let it recoil in the bags differently. I re did the tang last night because I noticed it would suck down a tiny bit when I tightened the rear screw. These are what my groups looked like yesterday.

I shot the first 5 in about two minutes.
[Linked Image]

Decided I had 6 left why not shoot a ten shot group. First shot the rifle twisted in the bags and went high and left. I figured I screwed the pooch and made it an eleven shot group. Last six in about two maybe three minutes. She's talking.

[Linked Image]

Looks like you have yours sorted out. The top old group is about how my 7-08 shoots with factory ammo. I'm still getting my reloading kit set up though so I have both factory ammo and possible needing a bedding job working against me right now.

My intentions are to start loading for it and make sure it isn't an ammo issue and then bed it.