Originally Posted by carbon12
225gr3100FPS and ....."In my scope I watched in total excitment as the bear just folded up, dropped to the ground, and rolled down the steep hill....."

Was the 350 yd shot made with a recoiless rifle?

No, of course not. But at that distance, the field of view is quite large in a good scope. I have watched animals fold iin my scope before.

RE the "azz shot" The shot looked and felt really good when the rifle went Ka Boom. By the reaction of the bear and the look and feel of the shot, I rreally believed that I, and later we, were merely looking for a very dead bear. As it turns out I made an error in failing to calculate the bears forward speed and progress during the time of the rifle going off and the bullet striking 350 yards away. I have made simlilar shots and longer ones many times, including a black bear at a lazered 408 which also dropped on the spot and was dead as soon as his belly touched the dirt. I thought this was the same scenario, and only after recovery of the bear did I figure out where my error was. In the excitment of a hunt, and seeing what was for me the black bear of a lifetime, it was a simple, easy and relatively minor shooting error. the miss was by inches, and the hit was not in the "azz" liks some have mis quoted. It was a forward raking shot that landed a bit too far back but was an anchoring shot that looked like and felt like a DRT kill shot.

And yes, this bear and others have caused me to appreciate my bigger rifles and learn to shoot them well. Some, whose hunting territories and methods are different can and do get along with different armament. Heck, lots of my old houndsmen friends killed truckloads of bears with 30/30's and 44 leverguns and revolvers. Fit the rifle, cartridge and bullet to YOUR hunting type, style and game. In my case and my region, the big boomers ahve a real place and give a bit of a margin that I appreciate. Anyone can make a shooting error while hunting and I freely admit that I made one on that day. I am still very proud of my bear, and have very fond memories of that weekend, however. The name calling naysayers cannot change that. And, excepting Boxer who really does have a valid opoinion and room to talk based on real world experience, I do not recall seeing or hearing very many hunting stories from most of the naysayers of late, come to think of it.

Much easier to be a Monday Morning armchair QB full of "I woulda's". Always has been that way so this thread and its sometimes negative content is no big surprise. Like I said a couple of pages ago, these few name callers are consistent and predictable and thus, of little effect to me now. I still enjoyed posting my story and my bear and I am proud of both, as well as my rifle whose cartridge is my own creation.

Find a guy who has never made a mistake, and I will show you a man who has also attempted to DO very little of anything.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500