I just test-shot my latest .270 today. Bought it a month ago for what some people would consider too much money at the annual find-raiser auction of the Jack O'Connor Heritage Center and Museum in Lewiston, Idaho. They have a handful of the commemorative Featherweight Model 70's Winchester put together a couple years ago, and I got to pick the one I wanted, which has spectacular wood. (You can see on the Deep Creek Press Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DeepCreekPress)

But they're not just pretty. Winchester used really good barrels and bedded them right, and Brad O'Connor (Jack's son) told me that every one he's heard about shot very well. I sighted this one in with the last 4 rounds of a box of Hornady 130-grain American Whitetail ammo, the first 3 at 25 to get close and the last at 100, which landed 1-1/2 inches high, almost dead center. Then I shot 3 rounds of Norma 150-grain Oryx factory ammo, and they went into .40. Including the single Hornady round the entire group was under 3/4". And that was with a 4x33 Leupold FX-II, because I scoped it "traditionally." I do believe this rifle is going to shoot.

Plan to use it to test a bunch of newer bullets and powders for a Handloader article on "The Modern .270." Will be a hoot to do it with a super-traditional rifle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck