B,

I'm realizing that rifles aren't that different than the stock market. Some hold onto traditional beliefs and are nostalgic over certain rifles and chamberings... like Fundamental Traders. Others just want numbers and data, and don't care about nostalgia or tradition. The numbers and data tell them everything they need to know. These are the Technical Traders. I find myself getting nostalgic at times, but I want data... show me the numbersgrin

A leever in a traditional chambering like 45-70 or 30-30 would do great in the jungle of the coastrange. But as you well know, there are openings, clearcuts, and opportunities to shoot from one finger to the other. The fella that limits himself/herself to a leever leaves all that opportunity behind. There really is no downside to a bolt action in the jungle as far as I can tell.

In terms of the 270... I think its nostalgia. Plus it works. And its not a bad choice for Joe-average. Its not the best choice for the Technical Looney though. Ok for the Fundamental/Nostalgic/Traditional looney. The Technician will seek more.

Regarding Goat, I got to say Billy is an experienced and reasonable fella. Heads and shoulders above most at the 'Fire. He's got a reason for not liking AMAX bullets and I'd like to hear why. I know that you, Jordan, Tanner, and others have had good luck with them among many others. The idea that AMAX bullets are not suitable for hunting has been de-bunked over and over, but I haven't used them myself, yet.

PS - Montucky 223 is next on the list, with Super Fixt Pfukker and 75gr AMAXes. Low cost in terms of recoil and components. For me, the S/A Montana design is off the charts in terms of fit, weight, and features. I was getting ahead of myself with other chamberings but you're right... 223/223AI is what I need. Thanks for that advice awhile back.

Off to shoot 85 grainers... unfortunately they are attached to carbon. Drew "Unsuccesful" for my elk season this year and will be flinging projectiles Indian-style.

Jason