Originally Posted by 4th_point

My co-worker shot a doe last year with a 140gr NAB from a 7RM. Knocked it to the ground. When he went to recover the deer, it jumped up and ran. Scared the crap out of him as he thought it was dead shocked . Luckily he was able to shoot it as it was running away. First shot blew-up like you described with no penetration to vitals.

His dad had the same experience with an antelope last year. Same 140gr Accubond, same rifle. Maybe a bad batch from Nosler? They are huge fans of the SST, go figure! You can't give them any amount of Accubonds now.

Also last year, my buddy shot a moose with a 150gr Scirocco (factory Rem Premier). He said the bull went down under a tree and just laid there. Buddy thought it was going to die when his daughter said, "It's getting away!". Dropped it with his 7RM. The first bullet hit bone and then veered off at an extreme angle not hitting anything vital. Basically stunned the bull, like the doe in the first example. Now you can't give him any amount of premium/bonded bullets. He's going back to Core-Lokts and will probably never change.

All the shots above were broadside at relatively close range (no longrange shots).

I suspect that weird things can happen when little metal projectiles are moving really fast.

You're nipping at the crux of the problem. Folks get so enamored of LR performance they forget what happens when more fragile,lighter jacketed bullets impact heavy game(and sometimes light game)) at magnum velocity.Then they blame the bullet when it was the application that was wrong.

The 140 AB that does well at 300+ yards from a 7mm magnum may not do so good at close range where velocity is high....pretty certain a 160 AB would have done much better.

In the 7mm Rem Mag, and dealing with a bull moose at close range(any range for that matter) a 150 SS II would not make my short list.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/15/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.