Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm not totally sold on TSX's (or monolithics in general) as THE only bullet to use on big game. Yeah, they penetrate great, but have seen some fail to open, which as Klik said is their biggest problem.

It also beats the hell out of not penetrating enough, but have also spent considerable time looking for animals (not all mine) that wouldn't have gone nearly as far if they'd hit with certain other bullets. Also, I haven't found monolithics to kill as quickly as lead-cored bullets with typical lung-shots, unless driven really fast, or of pretty big caliber.

I also haven't found them to penetrate any deeper than some load-cored bullets. As an example, have seen similar penetration to the 100 TSX from various .25's with both the 6mm and .25 caliber Nosler Partitions, not just once or twice but a number of times. And have yet to notice any practical difference in penetration between the 250 and 286 TSX in the 9.3x62 and the 286 Partition, and the Partition has, overall, killed quicker. And no bullet I've used has killed any quicker than the Berger VLD hunting bullets, which in my experience shoot up even less meat than monolithics if placed correctly.

But I do like the Tipped TSX's very much for specific applications.

I'm glad John said this. While I don't have near as much experience shooting game as John I have quite a bit and this is my experience as well.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.