Miles,

Generally, I have seen monos of whatever type kill similarly to other bullets, but there have been a number of exceptions, even with bullets that centered the top of the heart and both lungs. While there has been some overlap in damage from various bullets, the average internal damage from monos hasn't been nearly as much as from Berger VLD's. In fact every hunter who'd never seen them used before commented on the amount of damage.

I also can't recall a C&C bullet being deflected noticeably on deer, whether from a rib or anything else, but have seen some come apart completely on shoulders. In fact, the very few bullets I've seen deflected noticeably on big game were "premiums", and all hit heavy bone animals from cow elk size up.

I also don't rely only on my experience when making these comments. As noted earlier, some bullet companies do extensive testing of bullets on animals, and every test I've seen came to the conclusion that fragmenting bullets killed measurably quicker on shots not involving shoulder or CNS placement.

I also know a lot of outfitters. One here in Montana primarily guides for deer, including a lot of whitetails on riverbottoms. His hunters take dozens every year, and he's been outfitting for over 30 years. He absolutely hates monolithic bullets, as well as most other premiums, though does grudgingly admit Partitions and AccuBonds work "okay." this is because e's had to chase down so many deer hit with bullets that don't do much damage. Now, no doubt his hunters don't always hit deer nearly as perfectly as you do, but even for his own hunting this guy prefers Sierra GameKings of at least moderate weight for the caliber, and suggests them in his brochure.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck