Most of my encounters revolved around predator calling. Was up to the mountains just under treeline. Made my set against a pile of blown over spruce. I had covered my legs with snow to hide and keep warm. After finishing my second string, I caught movement to my left. In seconds, a Martin appeared on the scene...and on my knees. It looked up at my head and seemed very curious. That is until I laughed at it. It started running around in tight circles for a moment then leaped up onto the top of my head and bounded up over my deadfall backstop...

Was sitting under a small spruce one time and had an owl land in the branch a foot above me. Didn't fancy a perforated hat that evening. Twas very close that one was...

Went out with a pard and had a Lynx jump between us and attack our decoy. we were sitting 2 feet apart. Never knew he was there until he "flew" by us...

Had found a dead yearling wolf that a moose had kicked. Was no sign of a dead moose so imagined he or she had sucessfully avoided the dinner invitation. Thought I'd set up 25 yards cross wind from said wolf and just wait for what might come in for a Scooby snack. 10 minutes into the set, I saw a moose approaching. Thought it might be interesting to see the cow's reaction when it winded the wolf. I felt somewhat "naked" when it dawned on my pea brain that the "cow" was really a griz. I was armed to the teeth with a 10/22 Ruger. Thankfully, the bear picked the wolf up in it's maw and did an "about face" as smooth as any seasoned veteran might. That was the turning poin in my career as a predator caller when I decided to carry something a tad bit larger those first few days in March. Did have to do a little more sewing up of hides, but felt it worthwhile somehow...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters