I was out grouse hunting with a buddy near Pocatello, Idaho one fine late September day, just outside the city limits. There were a lot of moose around. We came upon a cow and a small bull. He apparently thought we had designs on his lady friend...

We had a stare-down for about a minute, then he started walking towards us. He was maybe 30-40 yards away when he started. So we backed up. He kept coming, but would stop when we stopped.

I put two 20 gauge rounds into the ground at his feet, and he didn't even blink or flinch.

So we kept backing up over small finger ridges that separated drainages into the main creek. He kept following. Additional rounds didn't seem to impress him. We finally got some distance on him and he stopped and went back to his girlfriend.

I don't imagine he kept her for long, as maybe 30 minutes later we saw a huge bull at about 250-300 yards heading his way from a atop a larger ridge above the creek.

For our next trick, same day, we were hiking down a two track, and jumped a couple of grouse. We followed them towards some heavy brush near another creek.

A loud grunting noise warned us away from the brush. At that point, we decided to call it quits on grouse hunting in that area, at least until the rut was done !

Regards,
Ben