we have apple orchards scattered through the woods here from the 1920 and of course the bears, deer and moose use them for a banquet in the fall.
I was bow hunting one fall and had just built myself a nice blind under a cedar tree when I noticed 3 little black balls moving under a apple tree about 40 yards away. I settled down and started watching them through my binos. every once in a while I would see apples fall from high up in the tree. I started looking and would see this black arm reach out and knock off apples for the chillins below.
just about the time I got a good view of her the wind shifted around behind me and as soon as I felt the breeze on my neck the little ones disappeared like baby quail and momma came headfirst down the tree. She charged all bristled up and on her tiptoes up to about 10 yards from me. I heard this high pitched noise and realized it was coming from me. I was at full draw and told her she might get me but I would make orphans of her cubs.
she stopped at 10 yards and bounced up and down some and I started backing out through the wild rose and apples for the road. I kept at full draw until I got to the road and she kept the distance the same until I was about 100 yards from the cubs.
she went back to her babies and I went back to the house for a stiff one. had to go back the next day for my bino's and backpack. she probably weighed 140 but looked huge that day.
have seen her many times since and she always has 3 cubs.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~