In my 44 years in Alaska I have been charged by moose maybe a half dozen times, never by a bear, tho there have been some pucker times , and once I was mistaken for a potential meal of sheep or caribou. But then again I don't go around poking holes in big bears....

There was this "yard" yearling bull moose we called Ornery, because he was. At one time or another he charged everyone in the neighborhood during the winter, which we wrote off to winter stress, mildly injuring one person as she went to the car in dark.

One spring morning I went to tighten rivets in my flat bottom boat. Ornery was bedded down about 40 yards away on the property line. I put the film camera up head-high on the deck stairs after taking his picture and proceeded to pound rivets.

For some reason I looked up to find Ornery in full charge at 20 yards! I beat him to the door and slammed it in his face. Literally. I turned around to find his face pressed against the glass. Later I found he had hit the stairs hard enough in rounding the corner that he had knocked the Pentax SLR off the stairs, destroying it.

One day my neighbor found Ornery between his door and the truck when Rip was trying to go to town. Ornery wasn't moving showing aggression. So Rip got his bow and a flu-flu and thumped the moose in the ribs. Ornery jumped then picked up the arrow and started chewing it.

Rip decided tomorrow would be a better day to go to town smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.