Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
Once walked around the corner of a building at a plant and surprised a woodchuck.

I was working in the Swanson River oilfield one March and came around the corner of a building with my head down and almost bumped into a young bull moose that was coming the other way. Luckily he was just as rattled as I was and hauled ass.

Been chased a few times down here by moose, one time I was fishing a small stream and a cow was in the willows on the bank so I detoured around her and kept fishing. Next thing I knew she was trotting out of the brush toward me making a strange bellowing sound. Then I heard another sound behind me, turned and looked and there was her calf. Took another nanosecond to realize I was directly between them, and for my legs to start working, hauled ass and she broke off the chase.

Another time a bull with two cows saw me from about a hundred yards, lowered his head, and started coming. When he saw how fast I was, he gave up.

And it is a good thing martens are small. Once a bud and I stashed some elk quarters on top of a big rock while we hauled some other stuff out. Came back and a pine marten had claimed 'em. He wouldn't back down, kept hopping from one to the other and showing his teeth.

I thought we were gonna have to shoot him but some rocks convinced him to give up.

A wise man is frequently humbled.