Joel,

Thanks. I had a lifetime subscription and they owe me lots of issues. There was a time around twenty years ago, when, in retrospect, I think the magazine was at it's absolute best, that we had Rich Keyser and a couple of other guys who wrote about varmint guns and hunting, a couple of guys covering Camp Perry shooting and myself and several others who covered benchrest.

At that time I had retired from my real job, formed my own corporation and spent half my time trying to build the business and the other half travelling around the country shooting in matches and writing about same. Those were good days although, if I were smarter, I would have spent more time on the business. At that time, Glorya and I owned about 15% of the Precision Shooting stock and I was on the board of directors.

Things changed and people changed... the sport of benchrest started to slowly lose competitors. The use of computers grew very rapidly which made staying in the magazine business harder and harder... Seeing the handwriting on the wall, I sold my PS stock and used part of the money to buy my old Porsche which is, by now, an old friend and which still sits in the garage, polished and pampered and waiting to be exercized, something I do at every opportunity.

By 2012 Precision Shooting subscriptions were not being renewed at an alarming rate. In October the magazine simply ran out of money and couldn't afford to pay for the printing of the next issue. Alas, no more Precision Shooting. Jim Borden (another member of the board of directors) and I decided that, were we twenty years younger, we would try to resurrect it... but we weren't.

Now, pushing eighty, (real hard) I spend too much time sitting by my computer and looking at the fifteen acre lake we have in the back yard. There was a time when I was an associate member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild and each winter I try to build one rifle. I was very lucky recently and found a good Ruger No. 1 action for a very good price. A call to my old friend, Tim Gardner, at Douglas got me a light .22 barrel. The metal is off to the metal guy now with a request to have it done when deer season is over. Making the stock will keep me out of Jackpine Savage bars for another winter.

Still, I really miss writing for the magazine...

Dick Wright

Last edited by Dick_Wright; 09/29/15.