Kevin, I wrote a story about a Pauly gun I restored that was published in Shooting Sportsman (Jan/Feb 1996) that you may want to reference for your story. Without a doubt one of the coolest guns I've had the pleasure of working on. (see attachment)
A quote, "The Pauly was the first gun to shoot fixed ammunition, the first to use reloadable centerfire ammunition and the first breechloader to use percussion ignition. The patent - or brevet, in French - for the design was issued September 29, 1812, in Paris. At the time, Napolean was walking over Europe, we were fighting the English and everyone was shooting flintlocks."
As a side note, JB refered the client (Tim) to me at my shop in Oregon, we became good friends, I moved to Montana at his suggestion and it was at Tim's ranch that John saw me mostly missing clays with my Fox a couple weeks ago!
I'm greatly intrigued with the notion of another Pauly, I heard there was one for sale in Vegas last year(?) PM me if I can help. SSM would be a good place to seek publication, contact Ed Carroll. I look forward to hearing about the gun and reading your piece!

Attached Images
984403-Pauly.jpg (0 Bytes, 1297 downloads)
Last edited by SDH; 08/29/06.

SDH