Mule Deer, I am glad that writing full time for Wolf is working out for you, but personally I am still ticked you are no longer the back page of Rifle. Heck that rag is not worth reading any more. Do I remember correctly you left that because you are now editor of something?

The bios are interesting, not because I am impressed by guys who went to college, heck probably few besides Mule Deer spent as long going to school as I did, just means we were other wise occupied or slow learners, but the background does tend to flesh out the experience behind the writing. A decent writer can do the book research and sound knowledgable. A good writer has experience behind the research and is knowledgable. A great writer has both and reads like sitting around the fire together. For me there are two guys like that, O'connor and Barsness. I would have to say I feel very fortunate to have been on so many hunts with John. I can remember hunting upland birds together several times before I remember I have never yet had the chance to hunt those upland birds. And a couple of times in Africa we were talking about...Oh wait. Well anyway there have been plenty of times when we were hunting deer and elk and talking about... Well anyway I think I saw him in the junipers once near the Colorado state line. There are plenty of good writers and I have learned a lot from many of them. Even some I am pretty sure I don't much care for. I was once on an oryx hunt the same time as Mr. Zumbo, but I only have memories of hunting with two guys I have never met. That is a gift beyond good writing.

Last edited by He Dog; 03/22/09.