Just wanted to thank all of the writers here. Have read most of you over the years. Hunting and shooting (rifles, handguns, and shotguns) since I was old enough to ride along with my dad and grandpa in South Dakota (mid '50s). Waterfowl, pheasant, deer, turkeys, prairie dogs, coyotes, and of course what we call gophers. Not a pro by any means, but have spent many, many hours learning and being entertained by you all when not outdoors. Thank you again for what you do.

And thank the Lord for this forum! Been lurking for a while, lurking and learning.......... I grew up reading JOC in Outdoor Life. I remember being enthralled also with the "this happened to me" page. One day I realized I could be writing the "this happened to me" stories. Skipped school one day with two friends to go duck hunting. Frozen, windy day toward the end of season (last chance, you know?). We decided we would use a hatchet to chop a hole in the ice on the slough so the ducks would have a place to land. Found a place to set up and started chopping ice. Turned around and saw a mallard drake and hen too cold to fly right behind us. My friend was holding my shotgun while I chopped ice, so I jumped the ducks and got the hen with the hatchet. The drake managed to fly off without getting shot at. 'Course I promptly fell through the ice while holding my duck and my hatchet. Hip deep, no waders (we were poor high school kids), so I headed for the car and sat in it most of the rest of the day trying to get warm and/or dry. Spent time in detention as well, since my mom refused to write me a "sick" note. Those were the days..........