Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Since it's apparent many prefer to engage in typical Internet speculation, here are a couple more details from my testing of a Fieldcraft .243 over the past month and a half:

1) The "skinny" barrel of the short-action models is stress-relieved twice during manufacture. Contrary to popular opinion, I've found properly stress-relieve barrels to shoot consistently even when hot, no matter the contour. This one did too. During one range session, on a very warm day in late June, I shot two consecutive 4-shot groups with Federal factory ammo, not allowing the barrel to cool between shots or groups. Not only did point of impact remain the same, but both groups measured .7 inch.

2) I also tried nine different handloads, mostly ones that had shot well in other .243's. I did NOT tweak the charge, or bullet seating depth. Instead I just seated bullets a about .02" shy of the lands. Bullets ranged from the 55-grain Cutting Edge Raptor to the 115-grain Berger VLD, and included the 100-grain Nosler Partition. Three-shot groups with EVERY handload went under an inch, with the smallest around half an inch.

3) The stock is made with carbon fibers, and is full-length bedded with pillars.

Some of this could be found out by checking the Barrett website. More details will be included in a RIFLE magazine article that will appear in a couple of months,

With having extensive experience with Nula's, and a bit with the Fieldcraft, after reading some of your posts on the Fieldcraft, would you say it's a good alternative to spending the extra money on a Nula? Aside from the 2 position safety it sounds like a less expensive Nula. I know right now Melvin is swamped with orders and having a hard time keeping up because of issues with his staff, Forbes Rifles Inc is shut down, it's great timing for Barrett that's for sure.

From what I've read on it, it sounds like the only thing it's lacking (besides the 2 positon safety), is being put together under Melvins supervision. The only other potential difference I can think of, and something I don't think I've read anywhere, is about the recoil. I know that the stock design on the Nula seems to absorb about 30% of the recoil felt with the same cartridge in a different stock. I really would like to get my hands on one to get a first hand feel of it.