I'm Keith Atcheson with Jack Atcheson and Sons. We are a hunting consulting business that started in 1955.

Recently, I accidentally came across this post by Al Quast from MI. As other posters mentioned there is likely more to the story. Quast made intentional, lying, and disparaging remarks about myself, our company and even brings my deceased father to the matter. Online forums are no place to resolve issues between 2 parties but it makes for good entertainment except for those involved.

It’s a year old but better late than never.

Here's the timeline. On February 29th 2016 Quast contacted me and requested information on guided MT elk hunting and northern grizzly bear hunting. I responded the same day by sending him information on a hunting area where we have been sending elk hunters for over 50 years. Its changed ownership a few times but it has been a steady producer on branch antlered bulls. It is not represented as a trophy bull elk area though it has produced many. Just a fun high success bull elk hunt. We know the operation well.

Going forward from initial contact, I never heard from Quast again on this hunt until I received the email below on December 20th 2016.

Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:03 PM
To: Keith Atcheson
Subject: Re: Elk hunt

[/quote]Hi Keith,

Just a quick note to let you know I hunted at XXXX Mtn. this Nov., and make sure you get their cut from them...lol

Quite a bit has changed since you hunted with them. XXXX no longer works there, then XXXXX husband took over...and he's out now, too. A new guy guided me, who just started for them this year. He's been in the area all his life.

They were pretty unorganized with the horses after the first day, but seemed to know what they were doing.

I got my bull, a 4 point youngster. I'm plenty happy with him. They obviously(and the guide agreed) overhunted the place. I think my bull was the 20th bull killed in 3 weeks. There were no 5 or 6 points on the ranch when I arrived. The weather was very mild, and having a herd still moving around was a blessing.

There were a couple dozen spikes in the herd, and that should make for some good hunting in a couple years.

We need to talk again this winter sometime, and get me lined up with some hunts in the future. Keep me in mind for a cancellation grizzly hunt, as I'm not prepared to spend $12-$13,000 on a bear hunt.

Thanks again Keith, and Happy Holidays to you and all you guys there.

Al Quast [quote]

In his own words this does not sound like a guy that's unhappy or had a poor hunt. Quast booked this hunt directly with the operator. I had zero contact with him financially or on arranging this elk hunt with the outfitter. I did not even know he booked. He's not a client of Jack Atcheson & Sons, period.

This morning, I talked to the outfitter who personally guided Quast, says he shot his bull the first morning of the hunt. So did his brother later in the day. He had more comments as well.

This sets the table with Quast and my experience with him which is very little. Never met the man.

Originally, he wanted some griz hunting options as well. At his request, between the dates of June 17th 2016 and March 21st of 2018 Quast received multiple emails from us representing good bear hunt options. He never acted on any of them and I recall no phone conversations but I talk with a lot of people in this business.

On March 21st 2018 our office receives a written complaint about us not contacting him directly when a " good deal" comes up. I don't like people to be unhappy. I was literally boarding a bush flight in Alaska, gone for 10 days and could not call him. While still able, I apologized to him in a written response and told him it certainly was not intentional. I had not heard from this guy for a long time. I told him, " instead of complaining and blaming me he should consider some great hunts that were open right then and there for great pricing." My office gave him information immediately and the outfitters numbers.

Come to find out a year later, he did not like my tone but I don’t have much interest in people like this for reasons that seem obvious. Fast forward, not liking my response on entirely another issue, goes on line a year and a half later and lies to damage our reputation.

The last thing Quast wrote to me was, “ You think I'm a small fish but the pen is mightier than the sword.” Then he went to the internet.

Last edited by Atcheson; 03/08/19.