MCH, I apologize if I came across a bit snarky last night and agree with you on pullups vs. shooting bows. The point I was trying to make is that I don't consider myself to have a lot of upper body strength and I easily manage bows in the 50-55 lb range. I'm 58 years young and have also been shooting stick bows my entire life which may have something to do with it. I've built numerous bows for folks either just starting out or switching from compounds and it does seem most want at least 55 lb bows which I agree is too much and try and talk them down to 50 lbs or so. My Dad starting shooting recurves with me years ago and he did very well with a 52 lb Howatt Hunter having never shot a bow in his life prior to that.

Most factory bows weigh on the heavy side of what they're marked to begin with. I think manufacturers weigh the finished bow and round down to the next 5 lb increment. Having built many laminated bows over the years, when I find myself in that situation I have no issues taking sandpaper to the glass and nock the weight down a bit. Montana Marine will likely be drawing over 55 lbs with his new bow which I agree with you is heavier than ideal to learn on. I'm anxious to hear how he does with it!